Tax Relief for Looking After the Disabled

Carers in Ireland provide an invaluable service to our community looking after those who cannot look after themselves. They also provide an incredible service to the state removing a burden that would be very, very costly. So, it is important that they receive credit for this financially.

Tax relief when caring for an elderly parent – If you have an elderly parent in care you may be able to claim tax relief as a result. Firstly, you must claim your parents as dependents. If you qualify, you can claim up to 35% of the expenses you paid toward one parent’s care up to a maximum of $3,000 in expenses.

Tax credit when caring for a disabled child – This relief comes in the form of an incapacitated child credit however only one Incapacitated Child Tax Credit may be claimed in respect of an incapacitated child. If your child is carried out by both parents, the tax credit is divided between them.

Accounting Pro is Ireland’s premier contractor accounting service.  We are here to help, the busy contractor and company, with all your accounting and payroll needs. We are both an umbrella company and umbrella corporation and we can create your limited company. We are experts in contractor pensions, contractor health insurance, illness and sick benefit for the self employed and contractor expenses. To learn more about what we do please review  and contact us by email: or phone us 01 6933370. For the UK see Accounting-Pro UK. “Tax relief for looking after the disabled” is an article written by Accounting-Pro Ireland for the benefit of everyone. Feel free to share it but please give attribution on a CC BY-SA license.

Categories: FinanceNews